Wednesday, December 18, 2013

Go To Work With Mom Day // A Book Review


        Hey y'all! Right now I am at our town's library helping out with re-arranging some books! My Mom fills in every once in a while so we kids get to see everything "behind-the-scenes" in the library business!



   Seeing as how I am surrounded by books, what better a time for a book review!   The book I am choosing to tell you about is by Lynn Austin, one of my all-time favorite authors!  (I have even met her!)   ;-)   The novel is named "Wonderland Creek" and I believe, is her newest.

Okay! On with the review!  Well, the story is about a girl who is 'addicted to books', and works at a library, leaving her very little time for real life.  Here is the consumer report, then I will share my personal account of this exciting and romantic tale!

  Alice Grace Ripley lives in a dream world, her nose stuck in a book. But happily-ever-after life she's planned on suddenly falls apart when her boyfriend, Gordon, breaks up with her, accusing her of living in a world of fiction instead of the real world. Then to top it off, Alice loses her beloved job at the library because of cutbacks due to the Great Depression. Fleeing small-town gossip, Alice heads to the mountains of eastern Kentucky to deliver five boxes of donated books to the library in the tiny coal-mining village of Acorn. Dropped off by her relatives, Alice volunteers to stay for two weeks to help the librarian, Leslie McDougal. But the librarian turns out to be far different than she anticipated--not to mention the four lady librarians who travel to the remote homes to deliver the much-desired books. While Alice is trapped in Acorn against her will, she soon finds that real-life adventure and mystery--and especially romance--are far better than her humble dreams could have imagined.

I really loved the fact that it is set in the 1930's, very nearly my favorite era!  (Hmm, how can I share with you my thoughts without revealing too many of the secrets??)   Well, another thing I liked about this story (And all of her books) is how she weaves Alice's journey towards greater faith in God in with all of the other 'plots' included.   Below is a photo of Lynn and a link to where you can buy the book, otherwise, find out if your local library has it on the shelf- it's so worth looking into! 

             Buy the book!

I hope you all enjoy this book as much as I have! Well, time to get back to the book carts! Cassie and I will be posting again later on this week, see ya then!  

                                                                           Have you ever read an Austin novel?
                                        What is the most memorable book you've ever read?
                                                          Have you had the chance to meet its author?

                           ttfn,
                                    ~Rebekah







2 comments:

  1. I'm usually not a fan of historical fiction (I prefer modern/contemporary settings), but I love Lynn Austin! She writes such great stories!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving your thoughts about this post! We allow anonymous comments and enjoy reading them as much as those of our followers, but if you're not signed in, please sign off using some sort of identification. Than you for taking the time to comment!