Saturday, February 15, 2014

HSF '14 || A Pink of the Past



Hello dears! Unless you are a fellow follower of the wonderful sewing blog The Dreamstress you are probably in wonder of today's title.Even though I have only recently found it myself, I would highly recommend it to you! And I am so very exited to participate in this year's 'Historical Sew Fortnightly' hosted by the lovely author of The Dreamstress!

Just as a quick overview of what the HSF is, it's a biweekly historical themed sewing challenge that lasts throughout the year.Since I was introduced to it a bit into the year I am starting with the third challenge and moving on from there.So I will be sharing a post in like manner every-other Saturday with all of you! If you are interested in knowing more, this will get you the needed info!

This round's challenge was to make something, (anything dating pre-1945), pink! Since I was not yet entirely prepared, and after considering my options, I decided on a more simple project for my kick-start.

Let's get into the details of the apron!






Now for the required challenge info:

The Challenge: Make something pink!

Fabric: 100% cotton calico. Clearance bin $6.

Pattern: Butterick 'Making History' #4042 (view-A)

Year: 1890-ish. It could work for a pretty good range.

Notions: Around three yards of rick-rack (.50) and three wooden buttons (pennies since they were bought in a jar of nick-knacks.) And random cotton thread!

How historically accurate is it? Well, after considering all of the elements- I decided it reminded me alot of Anne Shirly's era in the very beginning of the famous series- so about 1890.
I think that it would have been a little easier to place had I used soutache braiding instead of rick-rack.But I did use my treadle machine and handstitch the entire thing which helps out a lot- at least in the making of it.
So in short- not entirely accurate. I want to do a little better in this area in the feature.

Hours to complete: 4 or 5

First worn: The hour it was completed.

Total cost: Right around $7.








 Bek did such a great job this morn with my styling photos! The snow was so light and sparkling, freshly fallen from last night.It sure is piling up! I have to say that I envy all of you who have been writing of the rain and mud.I can see myself bending over a sprouting garden in this summery apron if spring will ever arrive.I am hoping the news that we hear on the radio will be for once correct in their guesstimations that we will escape this cold period next week.

                                                                          How do you like my new apron?
  In what era do you think it best imitates, do you think that I hit the nail on the head with 1890-1900's ish?

                        If you are a fellow Historical Sew Fortnightly sewer, I would love to hear from you!

                                                                     Shalom and have a wonderful Sabbath!
                                                                                                  Cassie
                                                                                    the Elder sister and Writer

7 comments:

  1. Oh Cassie! I love your apron! It's so practical and lovely and pink! The blue trimming finishes it up just perfectly. I would say 1890's-1900's would fit the bill as far as date goes.

    Can't wait to see what you'll do for the future challenges.

    Brigid
    the Middle Sister and Singer

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful apron! I love the pink calico and blue ric-rac. I agree the style does make me think of "Anne of Green Gables". The photos your sister took of you are so lovely. Your hair looks perfect with the apron.

    -Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is sooooo lovely! It just so happened I bought the material for an apron today. Perhaps I can draw inspiration from your project! :)
    God Bless,
    Natalie

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is pretty! Not really my personal style, but you did a good job with it.

    I know that you're probably tired of snow, but we got out first real snow this week! (It's been several years since we go this much -- 8 inches!) We had an awesome time with friends.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pretty! I love aprons... maybe a little too much! I had to stop making them because I have waaay to many! This is very cute and I love the photos you took! And yes, it is very 1890's - 1900's ish!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, I also think you hit the era nicely! It definitely has that feel about it, with the gathered skirt and the bib-front. Not that I'm an expert, but it looks just right...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for leaving your thoughts about this post! We allow anonymous comments and enjoy reading them as much as those of our followers, but if you're not signed in, please sign off using some sort of identification. Than you for taking the time to comment!