Saturday, March 15, 2014

HSF: Bodice || Corset Cover-Cami

Hello, hello! I know that I am late in the day getting this together- I went back and forth with getting it ready to publish. But our family has had a tremendous day of fellowship! More on that Monday.
We are here to celebrate the completion of my third (I started late- this is typically the fifth) Historical Sew Fortnightly challenge!

The history of  the bodice made my head swim with so many possibilities for this challenge's round! My thought process went something like..."Ohh I could make that camisole pattern into something more historical! I have always wanted to make it! But I did just make an under garment...that may not be very interesting for readers...I could make it anytime...Oo how about a '40's blouse! I just got that pattern and Mom just thrifted the perfect fabric for it!" Needless to say I had everything ready to make the blouse and then completely didn't feel into it...Packed that up and went back to square one.Here we are!

As has fallen custom, I have taken close ups of the detail and of course added the required info for the challenge.

Let's see what I have done this time.

*I know that I spelled 'eyelet' wrong above- It is a life long burden I must bear.

The needed info to complete the challenge:

The Challenge:
Make a bodice – a garment that covers the upper body.You can either abide by the strictest historical sense or can explore the idea of bodices in a more general sense.

Fabric: 100% cotton It was actually sheet that I thrifted!

Pattern: Butterick 6864

Year: 1900 intended

Notions: One fraction of a queen size sheet for the fabric that was $2. Stashed ribbon, embroidery floss, hem binding and eyelet lace.

How historically accurate is it? Probably 75% - The style is lacking the fullness of the time period bustled chest because of the lack of placing the ribbon waist cinch. Other than that- the middle details are true to character and the fabric should have been more of a sheer cotton. Not too impressed with the accuracy here. Made it more of a 1860 style instead.

Hours to complete: 4 or 5

First worn: Tonight to bed.

Total cost: Around $3.

                 I do adore the result of the pin-tucking! Front and back! I really must incorporate it more often!
I know already that this is going to be amazing in the summer under dresses! It is so light and breezy even
under my flannel nighty as I finish this up! Only right now can I imagine this made with a lighter material!

 I would like to thank everyone who commented on my last post on my photography.I too love those photos! I thought just in case you may want to know about my 'props' I'd share a bit. 
The glorious bead-board door is actually our  closet door.It was saved in a remodeling job by my Dad.Then added to our room since we built our own home. The darling hangers were thrifted by my Mom in a pack of five (three colored wood-two wooden) for two dollars! The brand is 'Good Form'. 
Thank you dears! I was hoping for some feed back about that!

You do know that I would love to hear from you!
What have you done this fine Saturday?
Did you make something for this challenge?
What do you think of my project?

the Elder Sister and Sewer


  1. Ooh, beautiful work Cassie! It's so feminine and delicate. :)
    My Saturday has been spent in cleaning our church building, preparing for Sunday School tomorrow and having dinner with friends. :) Yay!

  2. I did a lot of sewing work this past Saturday, mostly repair and prep work for an upcoming project. I made an atomic 1940's printed blouse for this challenge. I really like how your camisole turned out! It reminds me of one that I made a few years ago with hand crocheted beading trim. It was so nice to put in all the lovely details. And I love all the details that you put in on yours!

    the Middle Sister and Singer

  3. Wow...that is so beautiful, Cassie! I am not very good at sewing things, so for me, that is VERY impressive! Beautiful job...=)

    Ashley B.
    Like No Other Fashion

  4. Cassie, that is so beautiful! You're such an amazing seamstress! I love the ribbon in the lace around the middle. The whole thing is so pretty and actually looks like it's really old. A good "old" of course. :)

  5. This is very pretty! Thank you for visiting my blog.

  6. I think for the proper 1900 blousy pigeon-breast look, there would be a difference in the pattern... more fabric around the waist, most probably. But this looks lovely all the same, and actually also puts me in mind of slightly later underwear, like early 1920s or so. It's a fairly versatile style, then!
    I only started my bodice the day it was due, because I completely forgot I had intended to make something that would count. So I'm still working on it, but it will get done. :D

  7. Cassie, you make me want get back to sewing! The thing I have been wanting to make for years is a corset. Maybe I need to get busy on it. :)


Thank you so much for leaving your thoughts about this post! We allow anonymous comments and enjoy reading them as much as those of our followers, but if you're not signed in, please sign off using some sort of identification. Than you for taking the time to comment!